Click to check out our current challenge Wacky Words

Be sure to visit our August/Sept sponsor Tres Chic Unique

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

9/08 Jenny's "Patterned paper is your friend" techniques

I like patterned paper.  There.  I said it.  Sure cardstock is pretty, but come on, now isn’t this fun?!?…



Yikes.  I have a lot of friends who look at my piles of scrappy paper and utter aloud, “ Now what in the world would I do with that?”  I think the problem some people have when looking at busy pp is that they just don’t look close enough.  When I look at a sheet of pp I see what my pink Cutterbee scissors can do with it.  The very first thing I do when I get home from the scrappy store with a bunch of new supplies is to start cutting up my paper.  See that first Sassafras paper above?  I just started cutting into it.  I looked for sections of designs I could cut out while still maintain some orderly shape.  I cut out 2 corners of flowers and mounted them on my base paper.  See here.  Take note of the upper and lower left corners.


 Next I found some more single flowers and cut them out and mounted them on popdots.  Besides my trusty Cutterbees I also NEED a plethora of popdots to add to my patterned paper creations. Like so…



I also cut out one of those cute frames from the second Sass paper.  I cut out the owl that was framed and backed it with a scrap of another Sass paper.  I used that for some of my journaling. To finish it off I used yet another busy Sass scrap and punched the butterflies.





For this next page from my archives,  I used the 3rd Sassafras paper.  Isn’t she lovely?

Insert sass vintage yummy image again

Now, that’s what I call a sheet of paper with endless possibilities.  There are so many cool elements to fussy cut.  The first thing I did was cut out the top set of rainbow rings.  But to clean up the edge I simply took a piece of pp and and pleated it and followed the curve of the  edge of the Sass paper.  Once I had it just the way I wanted it, I stitched it down.  I added a couple more pieces of paper handcut once again and popped up one of them (the frame) with another popdot.  Like so..



For yet a final design element I used another paper and hand cut the branch.  It was facing the wrong direction for my page, so I simply rotated it before I adhered it.  Rather than gluing down each single leaf and branch I only tacked down the main branch leaving the rest to kinda flutter in the breeze.  Like so…



I hope you’ve enjoyed your peek into my mind when I’m playing with my paper and glue.  Now go out and get cutting!

scrappinJen

7 comments:

Dani said...

Jenny, you rock the Sass!! =)

ScrappyScavenger said...

You inspired me today!

Maya said...

I luv cutting out the designs from the patterned paper! Great post!

4theloveofmyfamily said...

great ideas for busy paper!

4theloveofmyfamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

Love this how-to, thanks for sharing Jen.

Sara said...

If anything's going to make you love PP...it's Sassafras! :) Excellent paper choices and tutorial!