Click to check out our current challenge Wacky Words

Be sure to visit our August/Sept sponsor Tres Chic Unique

Friday, April 9, 2010

4/08 Sarah's shaped crayon tutorial

 **Sorry this was supposed to go up yesterday....  I guess the scheduled post function didnt work and I had company so I didnt check the blog. *DOH*

I saw a tutorial a year or 2 ago (i couldnt tell you where) on making NEW shaped crayons from bits of broken crayons and silicone baking pans. Its completely genius and completely easy.

Here is a picture of my first batch. Batch 2 is in the oven



To make this cool shaped crayons you need...

*silicone baking molds. (I used the Wilton Petite heart mold)
*a cookie sheet
*broken crayons (with NO paper on them)

1. Preheat oven to 200 F
2. Break crayons and peel off paper. If its a whole crayon break it in 4 pieces.
3. Toss broken crayons in the heart mold. (I used about the equivalent of 2 crayons per mold) I like swirly crayons so I used 4 different colors for each crayon.

4. Place silicone mold on a cookie sheet
5. Bake until wax is melted. It took about 15-20 minutes for mine to melt. Larger pieces of crayon will take longer to melt... as will larger crayons. Dont be afraid to fill the cups up further if you want really chunky crayons. Mine are for my 2 year old nephew so I wanted a crayon that would fit better in a smaller hand. (and yes he knows not to eat them... lol)

I plan on packaging them in a little bag with a topper that says Wyatt's crayons and buying him a few coloring books to go with them. Im making star crayons next!

7 comments:

Brandi said...

These would make cute party favors too!

Sarah Rice said...

true dat!

I was thinking of making them for the kiddos for Aubrey's 1st birthday party

Unknown said...

They turned out great! We did some few years ago as a Valentine favors for my kids classmates.

Susan said...

Yes for Aubs first birthday but if we are doing Alice in wonderland we need to make them something Alice!

Gracie Ann Tan said...

These are the cutest crayons ever. Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing. :) These would indeed be a hit for children's parties.

Sara said...

I think we'll make some today! Keep finding icky-broken crayons. Wonder if the boy will enjoy this...or flip out that I'm breaking some crayons for fun? ;)

~ : Mama Koala : ~ said...

My son came home with one the other day. He said a classmate gave it to him. What a great idea. I think I'll steal the 1st Birthday party favour idea for my daughter's birthday. Thanks for the instructions.